EAA21.ORG

Experimental Aircraft Association Chapter 21
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:13 pm 

I am writing to ask for your support with legislation that could change the future of general aviation.

Bills have been introduced in both the House and Senate that would exempt thousands of general aviation pilots from requiring a third-class medical certificate to fly.

I am asking for your help to show Congress that the general aviation community is behind this legislation and wants to see real change.

In December, AOPA members Rep. Todd Rokita (R-Indiana), a member of the House General Aviation Caucus, and GA Caucus Co-Chair Sam Graves (R-Missouri) introduced the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act or (GAPPA).

Under GAPPA, pilots who make noncommercial VFR flights in aircraft weighing up to 6,000 pounds with no more than six seats would be exempt from the third-class medical certification process. Pilots would be allowed to carry up to five passengers, fly at altitudes below 14,000 feet msl and fly no faster than 250 knots. The legislation would also require the FAA to report on the safety consequences of the new rule after five years.

On March 11, Sen. John Boozman (R-Arkansas), Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), and Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), members of the Senate GA Caucus, introduced identical legislation in the Senate.

I urge you to contact your elected officials in the United States House and Senate and ask them to co-sponsor these bills. By signing on to this legislation, lawmakers will help create the momentum we need to change the outdated third-class medical certification process in ways that will promote safety, keep aviators flying, and save pilots, and the federal government, millions of dollars.

Please contact your Senators and Representative (contact information below) and politely ask them to co-sponsor the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act. A phone call generally creates the fastest results.

Senator Daniel Coats, (202) 224-5623, or leave message on website at http://coats.senate.gov/
Senator Joseph Donnelly, (202) 224-4814, or leave message on website at http://www.donnelly.senate.gov/
Congressman Larry Bucshon, (202) 225-4636, or leave message on website at http://bucshon.house.gov/
When you call, tell them you are a constituent and that:

You support H.R. 3708 (Rokita) in the House and S. 2103 (Boozman) in the Senate.
These bills expand on the FAA’s successful sport pilot medical standard.
This measure will save pilots and the FAA money and time.
These bills address the number one concern of pilots.
General aviation is a vital part of the nation’s transportation system and we hope our Congressman/Senator will cosponsor.
There are a number of Representatives and Senators that have already signed on as cosponsors to these bills. See a list here. In the event that one of your congressmen is already a cosponsor, we encourage you to write a note of appreciation and thank them for being one of the first to support this critical legislation.

Sincerely,

Mark R. Baker

AOPA President and CEO

If you would rather not receive future communications from AOPA, let us know by clicking here.
AOPA, 421 Aviation Way, Frederick, MD 21701 United States

Cell 479.445.9814

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:21 am 

Contacted my employees through EAA...very easy to do. Got a response from Coats saying he received my letter...nothing from the other two yet.

EAA sent me a letter with a link called "Rally Congress tool". Use it if you want. Easy Peasy.

Keith S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:16 pm 

http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php ... ion-act%2F

or http://tinyurl.com/mcym6ef

Either of the above links should take you to the "Rally Congress tool".

You are encouraged to make changes to your liking...

Earl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:54 am 

Received the following from Representative Larry Bucshon:

Dear Mr. Eberhart,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3708, the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act of 2013. As your Congressman, it is beneficial for me to hear your thoughts on this important issue.

H.R. 3708, the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act of 2013, was introduced by Representative Todd Rokita (R-IN) on December 11, 2013. If enacted, this legislation would direct the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration to loosen medical restrictions required to operate small aircraft. H.R. 3708 has been referred to the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, where it is pending further review. As a member of the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, I understand the importance of general aviation as it relates to the transportation of goods and people as well as economic activity in our local communities. For these reasons, I am a proud cosponsor of the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act, and I look forward to supporting it in Committee, as well as if it should come to the House floor.

It was good to hear from you. Please do not hesitate to contact me any time you have an issue of concern before Congress. I encourage you to visit my website at bucshon.house.gov to sign up for my e-newsletter to receive updates from Washington. Also, please take time to fill out my survey at bucshon.house.gov/survey regarding important issues before Congress. It is an honor to serve you and the people of the 8th District of Indiana.

Sincerely,

Larry Bucshon
Member of Congress

RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, Garmin G3X, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:55 am 

I received a generic response from both senators and the representative. I plan to call when the bill gets closer to a vote. This would be such a BIG boost for GA... I've known plenty of pilots that stopped flying because of a medical issue!!!

Cell 479.445.9814

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:26 pm 

Got responses from all three too.

Keith S